Healthy Home Assessments
Landlords are required to meet the minimum Healthy Homes standards within 90 days of any new tenancy. A landlord found to be not complying can be given some hefty fines of up to $4,000
Express Healthy Homes
We assess your property to ensure it meets the NZ Healthy Homes requirements. When also assess to the Residential Tenancy Acts requirements and can provide a report with all the Healthy Home information for your tenancy agreement.
We are fully independent and fully qualified for both Healthy Homes and Homefit.
Why is Healthy Homes Compliance so Important ?
Nearly 600,000 households rent in New Zealand, and New Zealand based research tells us that our rental stock is poorer quality than owner occupied homes. Research shows a link between cold, damp and mouldy homes and negative health outcomes, particularly for illnesses such as asthma and cardiovascular conditions.
By improving the quality of rental homes, New Zealanders who rent will experience improved health, as well as lower medical costs and lower levels of hospitalisations. Warmer and drier homes are also less likely to have issues with mould or mildew damage, better protecting a landlord’s investment.
Healthy homes compliance timeframes
From 1 July 2019
- Ceiling and underfloor insulation will be compulsory in all rental homes where it is reasonably practicable to install.
- Landlords must sign a statement of intent to comply with the healthy homes standards in any new, or renewed (varied) tenancy agreement.
- This statement is in addition to the existing requirement to include a signed insulation statement with all tenancy agreements that covers what insulation the property has, where it is, and what type.
- Landlords must keep records that demonstrate compliance with any healthy homes standards that apply or will apply during the tenancy.
From 1 December 2020
- Landlords must include a statement of their current level of compliance with the healthy homes standards in most new or renewed tenancy agreements.
From 1 July 2021
- Private landlords must ensure their rental properties comply with the healthy homes standards within 90 days of any new, or renewed, tenancy.
- All boarding houses (except Kāinga Ora and Community Housing Provider boarding house tenancies) must comply with the healthy homes standards.
From 1 July 2024
- All rental homes must comply with the healthy homes standards.
Call Express Now